Back to process

Register the musical work with SOCAN

A musical work consists of the lyrics, the music and the first publishing.

Who has to do it: the publisher or the author of the musical work when the work is unpublished.

You can register the work with SOCAN online.

Specific Metadata

These are metadata specific to a recipient and are not defined by MetaMusic.

For example, SOCAN could request complementary information such as:

  • Duration (an estimation of the work’s duration) (S)
  • The type of work (original or adaptation) (S)
  • Distribution keys between each role (S)
  • Address and other contact information for each rights holder (S)
  • Contractual links between each rights holder and their publisher (S)
  • Linked American Society (ASCAP/BMI) (S)

Getting an ISWC


All musical works must have an ISWC code.

How can I get it?

Any new musical work registered with SOCAN will be assigned an ISWC code. Given the attribution delays, it is recommended to make a request as soon as the work is created. The code can be retrieved anytime via your online account and sent to your digital distributor.

What Is It?

The International Standard Work Code (ISWC) is a unique identifier for a musical work.

The ISWC starts with the letter “T” followed by a unique nine-digit number (from 000000001 to 999999999) and a final numeric check digit (For example T-345246800-1).

Registering the lyrics with Evangeline

Who has to do it: The publisher or the songwriter if they act as publisher.

What is Evangeline?

Evangeline is a database developed by APEM. It icludes song lyrics and the authorization of the rights holders for their use in schools across Québec, online services such as Google, Google Play Music, Deezer, Shazam, MetroLyrics and many other sites and applications, for example, which is operated by APEM.

Where Do I Register the Lyrics?